Monday, July 12, 2010

Blast from an Obscure Past: Broadway Cigarettes

Anyone who knows me knows that I am notoriously anti-smoking, so don't misread my intentions in posting this ad.

This is an old yet iconic ad from a time before WITCO was legislated out of the media. My purpose here therefore is purely one of nostalgia.


Is it unique to Trinidad & Tobago that the cigarette companies for years tried to link smoking with more healthy pursuits such as Sports & Recreation?


Even though Broadway never got its tar stained, yellowing fingers on me, truth be told EVERYBODY who was born before 1980 knew this ad's dialogue.


Maybe it was the fact that there was just one television station seving the country back then or perhaps its just that melancholy desire to reminisce, but local advertising back then was in its Golden Age. The question that arises is simply: Would this ad stand up among the many on the airwaves today? I'll let you be the judge.


For me, I'm just going to close my eyes and throw my mind back to a more innocent time when the stature of a man was based on his ability to hang a jack not be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment