Tuesday, July 13, 2010

So you've graduated from school, what's next?


We are notoriously at that time of the year when young people everywhere around the world let out a collective sigh of 'What's Next?'. For many, your next step is certain: a job somewhere and a clear idea (as dictated by the personal ATM machines aka Mom and Dad) of what your life ought to look like over the course of the next three decades. For the rest, the path is so much less clear and is sure to lead you to soaring heights or near oblivion.

Life is a Game of 'Snakes and Ladders' kiddies. Don't be fooled. Don't let the wool get pulled down over your eyes - because if you do, you're liable to end up with your tightey whiteys pulled down around your ankles and life standing behind you, grinning as it uncompromisingly sodomizes you because 'it can!'.

Perhaps the graphic imagery of an unpleasant sodomizing is unnecessary in this cursory tale. For some, the road will open up to a place where your whiteys wont stay on at all - at least not until the end of your playset. Places like the 'Silver Star' (see pic) are always on the lookout for 'talented' girls without a plan and who perhaps need a hand in figuring out their lives. As a wise man once said, "strippers come in three varieties: college student, junkie and baby mama." The rate of matriculation for each is nothing short of phenomenal.

But, hey: the world needs its fair share of strippers, janitors and stay at home moms. Just as it needs its fair share of doctors, nurses and yes, even lawyers. To paraphrase Mother Teresa: 'You just got to be sure to be the best stripper/ janitor / lawyer / doctor that you can be'.

From my own personal experience, the path meant more school and even then it required me to 'stumble into my current field. I got lucky, I suppose. Since I had almost figured it out by the time I was 27 or so. (By the way: I still only have it almost figured out.) I somehow lucked out and started working in Marketing. I liked it. It stuck.

I'm not trying to get all Baz Lurmann / Don't forget the sunscreen on you. I don't have all the answers. After fifteen years on the workforce, I still don't have all the answers. But there is one thing that I have learnt: you never will have all the answers. AND thats the beauty of the ride that you are about to embark on. There will be lots of twists and turns - thats for sure - and the only thing that's certain is that at some point we all check out. Until then: Enjoy the ride.

Welcome to the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment